Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Enjoying the FBR Open (AKA the T&A Open)

Last week my brother Chris, who is the COO of a digital media/advertising company invited me to go with him to the FBR Open, which is the PGA tournament here in Scottsdale. Now, I have never been to the FBR, but I have heard a whole lot about it. For example, it has the highest attendance of all the events on the PGA Tour, it is the most rowdy, Happy-Gilmore-like event, and it is basically the biggest drunk-fest, party all day and night, crazed sex-charged atmosphere in golf! Of course I agreed to go.

Chris was lucky enough to score tickets to Sprint’s Penthouse on the 18th hole. It was basically a VIP, two-story tent with two bars, a whole lot of really good food, a poor guy in a suit rolling cigars all day in the sun, and free crap. Plus you had a great view of the 18th hole, and all the people, (or commonfolk as we refered to them that day), that walked around below, (people-watching can be so fun). We got to see all the FBR in its full glory as the drunk, obnoxious, loud, and often scantily clad people walked around below us. One of the funniest were these two girls wearing tight pink tee-shirts that said “Fun Bags” on the front, and “Want some?” on the back. They were advertising for a plastic surgeon in Scottsdale. Ahh, the lovely world of advertising… Well Chris and I enjoyed some golf, ate as much as possible, grabbed some free stuff, and left around 2:30. Right before all the really rowdy stuff started going down in preparation for the parties at the “Bird’s Nest” afterwards. I will say, if I ever go to that tournament again it will have to be as a VIP again… I do not think I could handle it without the free food.



These photos are from the Penthouse looking at the 18th hole. One is inside with all the glorious food, and the other from the balcony

No comments:

Post a Comment