Tuesday, February 3, 2009

REVIT – the bane of my existence or key to productivity

So this blog is more focused to those of you that work in my proud profession, I am sorry if it is a little boring. I recently started using a new program to complete the necessary drawings for projects we do. It is not just a drawing tool any longer, but a tool that allows us expand what we do a great deal. In theory, Revit allows you to draw an element like a wall or a door just once, give it specific characteristics, and that is all. It will be drawn in every other view whether it is a plan, elevation, 3D view, or even a schedule. You can make it as detailed as you want to. In theory this sounds great. You can do it once and it is all ready for you. Of course there are a few more steps than simply drawing lines, but still it must be sooo much better right?!

Well, as we have been implementing this new program I have often had the unique pleasure of feeling LIKE THE STUPIDIST PERSON ON THE PLANET EARTH!!!!
I have never encountered a program that was such a pain in the a@$ !!!! I know exactly what I need to do, what needs to be drawn, but it simply will not allow me to do it. ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, YOU NEED TO DO THIS TO DO THAT, THAT IS NOT A MODIFIABLE ELEMENT, IT’S A INSTANCE PARAMETER, NOT A TYPE PARAMETER!!!!!!!!!!!!
KILL ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Now that that is out of the way, I will say that I understand that this is the future, and I was even told that it would be frustrating for a while. Eventually, like many others on my team that have used for a bit longer, Revit will slowly begin to reveal itself, and the proverbial light bulb will begin to flicker and slowly become a source of illumination. I understand all this, I really do. BUT WHEN THE H@LL DOES THIS HAPPEN!!!!!

I am sorry, but I really need to vent, and this seems a logical place to do it. I am sure that my wife appreciates me yelling at the computer instead of her. Well, off I go to try to finish a door schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment