Monday, December 29, 2008

Hiking in the Superstitions

The day after Thanksgiving is typically known as Black Friday. It is called this because stores typically are able to go from being in the red to black that day… but for me this year, it was about trying to make myself black and blue!

We went to my parents for Thanksgiving dinner, and it was a great dinner with food and family a-aplenty. I of course engorged myself on turkey, potatoes, and pie. After dinner my dad invited me to go on a hike in the Superstition Mountains the next day, to which I reply, “heck yeah”, (I have been wanted to go hiking for a few weeks). He says it will be about 8 miles, to which I reply with a little less enthusiasm, “uh, ok”. There will be about 4-5 people in the group, and he says he will pick me up about 730 tomorrow morning.

The next morning, I woke up late because that is what I do. I have come to accept my inability to get out of bed on time, so leave me alone. So I of course rushed to get ready, layers of clothes, fill the camelpack, put in my contacts, slurp down some cereal, put on my boots, pack some energy/carb packed food…. Wait I FORGOT that one! I was a freaking boy scout for years with the motto “be prepared” engrained into my brain forever more, and yet I fail to remember FOOD! What a moron!

So we drive to the trailhead, and it is a bit chilly, and it looks like rain might make things a little more interesting, but alas it did not and we had great weather all day, (hey I could not screw that up). The trail we were to navigate was an 8 mile loop on the eastern side of the Superstitions. We had about 12 people with us, 3 GPS/radio devices, and a lot of turkey calories to burn! Off we went, with the guys with the GPS at the back!

To make a very long story shorter, our 8 mile, 4-5 hour hike became a 12-15 mile, 6-7 hour hike. We went off our trail twice, until the guy with the GPS started leading the group. Luckily, my water held out the whole day, but I mooched as much food as I could off of my dad and brother. I did all right on the flat portions of the hike, but if there was an incline, well forget about me keeping up. I got back to the car in front of only three people, a dad and his two children under the age of 6 (one he carried most of the day).

My body hated me for a few days, and I came away from this experience with a respect for the beautiful scenery here in Arizona, a few small blisters and some hefty chaffing, and a strong desire to get my lazy fat self in shape. Now, if I can only get out of bed in the morning…

No comments:

Post a Comment